Friday, November 21, 2008

Some Sock-Knitting Stuff

®me!

The knitted and crocheted items I sell or donate come with the above cute logo which I made myself! I've yet to sell my socks, though, because they take just too darn long to knit.

So if knitting socks takes so long and you've got to make two! of them, why am I addicted? One reason is my wool yarn stash--I really hate to share this tidbit, but in the spirit of goodwill:

Recycling Wool Sweaters for all that yummy yarn.

Now, it's true that wool yarn that is marketed as sock yarn is usually machine washable but if it's the difference between some cheap (but good) yarn and something more spendy--well, given the economic times it might make more sense to hie one's self to one's local thrift shop and garage sales and poke around amongst the knitted stuff.

I've been meaning to do some dyeing experiments with some of my recycled wool yarns (ie. let the kids go at some skeins with Kool-Aid) but I haven't gotten
I have bins and bins of small or leftover balls of yarn; knitting socks also does not need gobs of yarn of the same color or size (read: lot #) of yarn.

I have a favorite pattern now that I call Iron Heels. It is a Toe-Up Pattern (no Kitchener Stitch YAY!!!--I HATE! Kitchener Stitch!! HateIt--HateIt--HateIt!). There's lots of patterns on the web for Toe-Up using different methods: My fave is the figure-eight cast-on.

I use circular needles ala Magic Loop.

Ahhhh...but it's the heel that makes these spectacular! It's the Gussetted Dutch Heel. Here's another 'splaination.

Stretchy bind-off after your favorite cuff stitch and it's done (except for the second one). I have to take some pics and upload. Warning though, these socks went straight from the needles onto my feet and I need to do a general sock-wash by hand which actually makes them softer, pull in a bit (ie. felt just the tiniest smidgin), and have them all nice and bright and ready to photograph.

In checking out personal fave sites under Sock Knitting on the left of my page, I wanted to defend-justify explain why this obsession hobby is so, hmmmm, compulsive--in a good way of course. But others have been there before me:

SOCKS: A LOVE STORY

Here's a good start for collecting patterns (akin, I suppose, to collecting recipes).

KNITTING PATTERN CENTRAL: SOCKS

A couple of our llamas


No comments: